Pig Pickin' & Oyster Roast
Quail Hollow Country Club
- November 8, 2019
- 6:00:00 PM
- November 8, 2019
Please join us for a Veterans Day Pig Pickin’ and Oyster Roast on Friday, November 8th. This festive, indoor/outdoor event will be hosted at Quail Hollow Club. Cocktails and oyster shucking begin at 6:00pm, followed by whole-hog, hand picked barbecue with all the fixins served at 7pm. Live music and s’mores will round out the evening. This year, proceeds from the event will go directly to The Independence Fund. The Independence Fund’s headquarters is in Charlotte; however, they have a national reach that significantly impacts veteran wellness. There are six main mission pillars, which are open to Veterans of all eras:
- Mobility - Providing catastrophically wounded Veterans the chance to get back outside and enjoy the outdoors through a variety of devices that include all-terrain wheelchairs and adaptive bicycles.
- Adaptive Sports - Supporting Veteran Adaptive Sports in a variety of ways including grants to adaptive sports organizations, funding for attendance at adaptive sports-related events, and funding for Veteran’s adaptive sports equipment.
- Caregiver Program - The caregivers to our nation’s heroes are given a break from the stressful 24/7 role of military caregiving through time for peer-to-peer support, respite, counsel, as well as restorative and pampering services.
- Operation RESILIENCY - Each year, more than 6,000 Veterans take their own lives. Operation RESILIENCY focuses on the mental health and wellbeing of our Veterans in order to prevent Veteran Suicide and improve the overall quality of life for Veterans and their families. This is done in partnership with the Department of Veterans Affairs through reunions of combat units. Before Operation RESILIENCY, there has been no formal reunion structure for the men and women who have been to war together. The goal is to ensure the unit that experiences battle together, experiences healing together.
- Advocacy - For Veterans returning with the scars of war, the fight doesn’t end upon their arrival home. Unfortunately, some of the biggest battles are with the very institutions who are supposed to be on their side; whether it be the Department of Defense, the Department of Veterans Affairs, or Congress, when they simply don’t understand the challenges Veterans face, or when they turn a deaf ear.
- Family Program - The Independence Fund’s Family Program, open to families of catastrophically wounded Veterans, focuses on art therapy, respite, and comprehensive individual aftercare. With the understanding that true independence can only be reached through total family care, The Independence Fund tailors its family program to provide aftercare that is specifically created for each family. No other organization provides this service.
- Our Advocacy Program assists where the need is greatest right now; reforming VA healthcare, ensuring the Caregivers of the seriously disabled are properly supported, and addressing the latent problems of toxic exposure. The Independence Fund fights for those who fought for us.
You’ll have the opportunity to meet TIF’s CEO, Sarah Verardo, a Military Caregiver to her incredible husband and mom to three young girls as well as alumni from previous Operation RESILIENCY programs. Some of these all-terrain wheelchairs and adaptive sports equipment will be present for you to get a better look - you’ll be amazed at the capability and possibilities they provide. Most importantly, you’ll have the opportunity to thank and celebrate several brave men and their incredible wives from our local community. Dress is fall dressy casual (no jeans).
There are opportunities for sponsorship, so please consider a tax-deductible personal or corporate sponsorship. For direct information on tickets or sponsorships, please contact email@example.com. Please click the "Event Flyer" link above for more information.
ALL sponsorships include web recognition, program recognition and placard recognition.